Monday, March 31, 2014

And now for some upcoming attractions.

OK, I've been taking it relatively easy lately. It's time to get my butt in gear and get some serious miles in. What better way to do that than signing up for a couple of races right? Nothing like an upcoming race to get the fires burning and the legs moving. Plus, I got a little not-so-secret-anymore surprise coming up. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. First, the race schedule. Here's what I have come up with for the following months.

April 6 - 5K for Values: Ran it last year. It's organized by the Government Ethics Office (there's an oxymoron), I love ruinning this race. Why? Because it's free! You can't argue with free. I'll line up for some free. Hence, what better way to add races to a rather slow year so far?

April 27 - Altamesa 5K: I've had my eye on this one for a while now but hadn't been able to get to it. This race has a reputation for being very well organized. It's also for charity so another reason to go run it. I have also heard this is a relatively fast course so... new 5K PR? We will see...

May 25 - Abraham Rosa International 10K: This is a very famous race in Puerto Rico. Even before I started running, I talked about doing it one day. I guess the time has come. It is a very tough course with lots of hills. Hey, I'm nothing if not ambitous right?

And for the surprise(ish). On June 29, I'm gonna tri something new...

Yup, The Fat Runner is gonna be doing some cycling and swimming along with his running to attempt his first triathlon. I must be going insane. I'm gonna go into a bit more detail in an upcoming post about the whats and whys of this but for now, know this: If you want to keep something like this secret - and that's what I was trying to do. I wanted to shock everyone with the race recap - always remember to turn off auto-share when uploading your workouts to Dailymile or Garmin Connect. I didn't. When some people started to see swimming and biking along with the running on Facebook and Twitter, they(obviously) figured it out. What a genius. And, in case you don't find that funny, I assure you, you will laugh when I talk about training and competing in the tri. Funny stuff.

So that's it. This schedule should keep me plenty busy until mid summer, at which point I switch gears and focus on this year's main goal: A sub-3 hour Half-Marathon. What do you guys think?

11 comments:

  1. Wow! So fun that you are training for a tri! And Yay for a free race. You don't see that often! Is it timed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. TIming chips and everything. These things definitely do not happen often so you know I'm all over this.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! Congrats on starting your next adventure! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience along the way. I've been too chicken to even think about a Tri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sarah, you know what they say: "It's never too late to tri!" (Insert drum fill)

      Delete
  3. Alright Frank! Love that race schedule (especially the FREE one)! And that's awesome you are training for a tri!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that it will help me become a better runner. At least I'm hoping it will if I plan to try Goofy down the line.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you posted this before April 1st! Excited for you and I can't wait to hear all about them. Having to plan my upcoming ones as well. How do you choose when there are more than one race on the same day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No April Fool's! LOL There's no particular logic to choosing. I just go for whatever sounds more appealing. Like if it's free! That race will definitely trump any races with an entry fee. lol

      Delete
  5. That's great!! I did my first tri last summer and will be doing another one this weekend. It's a lot of hard work and you have to lug around the world with you, but you'll love it! I can't wait to hear all about your experience.
    @heatherlas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! How did it go? I'm trying to get as much information as I can. And you are right, it's really gear-intensive but I'm working on it.

      Delete
    2. It went really well and I had a lot of fun. The swim was frustrating because it was in the pool and you go by what your predicted time is, so if someone is slower then you then you have to tap them and wait till the end of the lane to go around them. Same could be said if you are slower then the person behind you. It was just frustrating. I'd like to do an open water one this summer to compare. Make sure you get your brick training in. Also, if there are any Tris in your area before the one you are doing, go down and watch. It will help settle nerves and you will get an idea about the transition area. The one that I'm doing this weekend is backwards (cause it's so early in the year) so it's a run, bike, swim event. I'll post some stuff on twitter.
      @heatherlas

      Delete