Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Two Years Running

 In March of 2012, I took my first steps as a runner. They were painful, they were extremely slow, and I was hoping with each and every one of them, that they would help me, for the first time in my life, to stick to some form of exercise and activity for an extended period of time. This month I celebrate two years of what has been a pretty interesting and incredible journey and I'm surprised to say that I have not only kept at it, but I'm looking forward to keep doing it and then some. When I think about the future now, I see it very much tied to a healthier lifestyle both for me and my family. Things have certainly changed around here.

As if on cue just so I could celebrate, this month I recieved this:


A pretty cool "runnaversary" gift if I do say so myself. I thought real hard about getting this plaque. After all they are not cheap but how many times in our lives do we run a first marathon? I thought it was important to commemorate the occasion so I gave in and got it. I also bought digital copies of all my pics a while back but I hadn't shared them. Here are some of my favorites.

Right before my corral went off. The photographer caught me putting my headphones on.

My favorite marathon pic. Not surprisingly, it was taken while running up Main Street U.S.A. heading towards the Castle.

WDW Race Track. I don't know what I was going for here. Apparently moonwalking?

Halfway done at Animal Kingdom.(Check the sensor behind me) Do I look excited?

I'm proudest of these next pics simply because this is late in the race(I think that is the twenty-something mile sensor behind me) and as you can see I'm still running and also, playing air guitar. I don't remember what song it was though.

This was a few seconds before the pic above in Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Crossing the finish line. You can see MIckey's feet at the top. I had just high-fived him and was screaming "YEAAAHHHH!!!!"

Not my favorite picture but there I was. Marathon done! On the verge of tears too.

Serendipity is an incredible thing. Nice way to celebrate two years of running. Here's to running for many years to come! Do you celebrate your running anniversary? How?









16 comments:

  1. This brought a tear to my eye as I relived these happy moments with you! That display of your medal is awesome. I know they are pretty pricey but so worth it for your first marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit pricey but if there is ever an excuse to get one, your very forst marathon is certainly it I think. I'm still thinking where to put it though.

      Delete
  2. this brought tears to my eyes too and I feel so proud of you and your journey! I don't even know you and I feel pride in your accomplishment! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! All the support I have gotten these two years has been so important to me.

      Delete
  3. You are an inspiration to us all, keep on rocking and running bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So inspiring in fact, that you hurt you knee. LOL Hope you feel better. There are races out there with our names on them.

      Delete
  4. Aww this is an awesome post Frank. Crossing the finish line of a first marathon is such an amazing feeling. And I loved how you played air guitar during the race....too cool for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cool, or in so much pain that I was trying to forget I was even there? The World may never know. LOL

      Delete
  5. Those pics are the best! I haven't found the courage to go the full 26.2 yet but you are inspiring me to just bite the bullet and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is a pretty extreme cliche, but if I can do it...

      Delete
  6. Happy Runaversary! I loved all the pics!
    LOVE your marathon medal display! I did something similar with my first marathon medal. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't get it! I heard about a nice deal they were handing out at the expo but you had to get it before the race. I was so scared of not finishing that my brother had to talk me into it.

      Delete
  7. Love the pics and the display! I almost bought all of my pictures, but in the end I picked my two finisher pictures because they were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! Happy runniversary Frank! And I LOVE these pictures so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the pictures! It's always amazing to think back to where it all began -- gotta love runniversaries! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. anytime you can play air guitar at double digit miles, you're doing good :)

    ReplyDelete