Sunday, March 3, 2013

So What's Next

So I finished a 10K. Been there, done that. So now I'm pondering my next move and quite frankly need a bit of help.

Going from zero to marathon means a progressive increase in distance. So far, so good. I have gone from doing nothing to running a 5K, to then doubling that and running a 10K. Looking at things logically means that I have to go for a Half-Marathon next. Here is where the problem lies.

Looking at the race schedule I see plenty of 5K's and 10K's to run this year and there are many I actually would like to run, but no Half-Marathons. Not a lot of them anyway. While this particular distance has exploded in popularity in the U.S., it hasn't really caught on down here. Both Marathons and Half-Marathons are very rare in Puerto Rico. I blame the weather. I was just talking with some family that this year both the Walt Disney World Marathon and the Princess Half-Marathon had heat advisory warnings because the temperatures went up to the 80's. That is actually winter weather here and summers can be pretty brutal with both heat and humidity. I guess the prospect of running that long under those conditions puts off many people.

The biggest and most important Half here is the San Blas Half-Marathon, which is one of the oldest in the World actually. But it was held the week before the WB10K so if I want to run it, it's gonna have to be next year. The other half on the calendar is a new one. The Puerto Rico Marathon/Half-Marathon. The course promises to be quite scenic, passing through both the new and old parts of tour capital, San Juan. It could actually be a perfect next race but...

This will happen on May 5th. It is exactly 9 weeks from now. Can I double my current longest distance by then? I don't know. On top of that, the race has a pace minimum of 16 minutes per mile, just like the WDW Marathon. I'm currently right on the knife's edge of that. So I'm on the fence here.

If I pass on this, there is a chance the rest of the year might go by without another chance to run a Half. If I do run it, I could end up making a fool of myself by a) not being ready and having serious issues, including not finishing or b) falling behind and getting picked up which also means not finishing.

This week, I start the 10 week, beginners Half-Marathon plan from the Big Book of Marathon and half-Marathon from Runner's World minus the first week so the schedule falls into place with the upcoming Half but I'm kind of torn here. This race sounds like a big deal and if not a lot of "casual" runners enter I could end up alone in the back racing against the pickup van. I guess I'm just a little scared of the unknown here. Some advice, encouragement or maybe a little bit of both would be nice.

6 comments:

  1. I have followed you since before the CC5k. I too was much like you not knowing if I could make the pacing requirement. When I ran 5K's about 15 years ago, my first race was against the van. I remember hearing the engine rev everytime the AC kicked in. No pacing requirement for the race when you are running against Marines. But I never gave up and didn not get picked up. I finished the race and kept working to improve my time. Getting swept may not be ideal, running by yourself in a race may not be any better, but running should be all about what you want. You are running becuase you want to improve yourself. Time to challange yourself and get going. You have the plan to run the distance, you just need to work the time. You will only know if you can when you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are (whoever you are lol) of course, correct. The real question is not should I do it but do I want to do it? Thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I say go for it! Not sure if your plan has speed work in it but I suggest doing some of that to help you improve your pace. It sounds like you really want to do a half marathon...with your determination I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Mindy. I was actually gonna email you and ask you to read this and tell me what you thought.

      Delete
  3. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! You will regret it if you don't! I KNOW IT!! There is nothing worse than the feeling of regret too! And you know what, if you do do it and cannot finish, well then walk the rest of the way! Do what you feel you can do!! In the end just knowing you did it will empower you! And who knows, it may motivate you to do another one, and then you will know what you're in for when you give it a go again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right. As of this week, I'm training for a Half-Marathon

    ReplyDelete