Friday, January 15, 2016

The Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Saga

Wow... that's all I can really say about this past weekend. Wow...

Don't worry though, I will be posting full race recaps and give as much detail as I can on how I did as usual. After some thought however, in order to streamline this as much as possible, I felt I should do this post first, explaining some stuff ahead of time and reminding you guys of some other things before diving head first into the details. This way (hopefully) the recaps won't run too long.

The Galloway Method
I think regular readers of this blog are very familiar with this and I have praised the Galloway Method countless times as it has allowed me not only to run long distances but to run them faster. However, other than saying that I do 2:1 intervals (2 minutes running, 1 minute walking) I have never really given any more details on how I do it. It just was not important I guess. Well, it was important for Marathon Weekend. As it turns out, in the run/walk equation, I seem to be seriously lacking in the walking part. 

I'm a slow walker. Some people are very good at walking quickly. Some can even maintain the 16 min/mile minimum pace without running at all and believe me, I saw a lot of people doing it this weekend. Well, I can't do that for whatever reason. If I really focus and hustle, I can get to 18:30 min/mile but I cannot sustain it for too long. For me, anything above 20 min/mile is "fast". 

The Balloon Ladies
Again, something I have talked about several times in this space. In fact, it was a big part of my narrative during the recap for my first marathon (which you can find here). These ladies maintain the 16 min/mile pace after everyone has crossed the start line. If you fall behind them, you will eventually get picked up at one of the many cut off points along the race courses. You end up in a bus and your race is over.

There is plenty of debate on the internet regarding where exactly, the last cut-off point is. In other words, what part of the course do you have to reach in order to avoid being swept even if the "ladies" pass you by. During Marathon Weekend 2014, I was told that if I reached Disney's Hollywood Studios I would be safe and that is what I used as reference. The logic behind it being that once you reach DHS, there are no more public roads that have to opened thus, you are officially safe. Turns out, that is not accurate. In fact, I have to this day not heard any official word from Run Disney regarding this so don't take my word for it but I seemed to have discovered it this past weekend.

Of Finishing and Medals
Which brings me to my brother. If you read my 2014 marathon recap you know who I'm talking about. He signed up for the Half Marathon this year and sadly got swept at mile 8. While I have a nagging feeling he did not train as he should have, we didn't get to find out. He got sick and could not stay out of a port-a-potty long enough to stay ahead of the Balloon Ladies. There is no way I can pass up an opportunity like that. An actual "victim" of the sweep police? You can bet I will post a full interview on what exactly happens. He also shared with me some very interesting perspectives regarding the medal "issue" and what he heard while in the bus back to the parking lot. Some of you might recall I wrote a post about that a while back. Well, I have some new info to share and some of it might surprise you and even shock you.

The Knee
Like you have not heard about this enough already. Even though I will do my best to not mention it during the recaps, it is important to understand that the knee issue figures heavily in this whole story. It's the reason why I could not train properly and therefore why I had such a hard time during Marathon Weekend. 

Tomorrow, we begin our story in earnest. Stay tuned.

10 comments:

  1. Oh you have me very intrigued for not only your race recap but all the other tidbits of info you are going to share! Should be a great read and I will definitely be checking back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that my brother's account of what happened to him after getting picked up shook me up a little bit. We'll get there in a bit.

      Delete
  2. You have teased some interesting information! Can't wait to read it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails Jennifer. You think you got something figured out and then you learn something you didn't know about it and forces you to re-asses where you stand.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intriguing start! I look forward to the recaps. Your poor brother, I'm sorry he got sick :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looking forward to crossing the finish line with him. Maybe this way I can convince him to try again with the Star Wars Half so we can do it together!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to read your recap, and to hear what you have to say.
    I know the truth on the last sweeping point as I was told I was safe once I passed it Sunday and started crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and it's actually not that far from where people "think" it is. But after you know where it is, it kind of makes sense. For Disney I mean. Runners would love it if they simply didn't sweep you.

      Delete